In a nutshell
- Offroad and camping trip commencing on a Thursday evening, starting in Oman, only 5kms from the Mezyad/Hafeet border post, and concluding on a Saturday around noon some 40kms away on the Ibri-Al Ain Road.
- 4×4 essential
- One night desert camping and one night wadi camping
- Easy sand dune driving with a little rough (but not too rocky) wadi track driving
- Fully catered
- Non-driving activities – Oasis walk, wadi walk
- Crossing the border typically takes one hour or less and for GCC residents with approved professions (which will be most of you), the cost of the visa will be 5 OMR (about 48aed).
Thursday Evening – 6-9pm:
- Meet us at the first Al Maha petrol station you reach after the border, just 5kms along the road.
- We will lead you in to our desert camp site which is very close, just a few kms along an easy track.
- BBQ dinner on arrival
- Camp overnight
- 0730hrs: Snack breakfast (fruit, biscuits, breakfast bars, tea and coffee)
- 0830hrs: Offroad drive through the “starfish dunes”, an easy drive with sand and sabkahs.
- 1330hrs: return to road, reinflate
- 1400hrs: lunch in local restaurant (biriyani, rice, bread)
- 1500hrs: travel further south towards Ibri, divert towards Yanqil
- 1530hrs: Oasis walk
- 1700hrs: Wadi drive and set up camp
- 1930hrs: supper – camel stew or pasta and tomato sauce
- 0800hrs: cooked breakfast (pancakes, french toast with sausages or labnah/cinnamon, fruit, tea, coffee etc)
- 0930hrs: leave camp, travel to Yanquil (shop to stock up if required)
- 1000hrs: drive to Ibri/Al Ain Road via offroad track
- 1200hrs-1300hrs: end of trip
- Car + Driver – 875 AED
- Car + Driver + 1 Passenger – 1375 AED
- Extra Passengers – 500 AED each
- Children 4 and under free
- Children 5-12 – 300AED each
Can be made by either Bank Transfer, Mastercard or Visa, please indicate your preferred method of payment on your registration form.
How to Sign Up
Please download and complete the registration form below (or download it from here) , then scan and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org registration form camping
The trip includes offroad driving – you must take your own 4×4 – but it will be a low-level drive suitable for those new to offroad driving. Full details of car requirements here.
We will set up temporary camps with shade, tables, campfire/bbq and a portable camping loo. We can hire you camping equipment if you don’t have any of your own . There is unlikely to be a 3G signal in the Starfish sand dune area.
Camping packing list available here.
What to wear
We will be in the desert, a wadi, sunshine, shade, as well as local towns and villages. Suggestions for clothing to keep you comfortable are here.
- This trip is suitable for families, couples and individuals.
- Children above 2 years old are welcome but there is a lot of driving so we suggest you take suitable activities to alleviate boredom in the car.
- Young children MUST be seated in car seats
- Maximum recommended persons per car – 4
- All persons should wear seatbelts whenever the car is moving.
- For those of those with Omani Liquor licences, alcohol can be consumed when we have stopped for the night – ie none before or during driving.
- In case of emergency
- Our guides will be carrying a satphone as there is no GSM signal, neither Omantel nor Etisalat roaming in parts of this area.
- Apart from initial meeting time, all timings are approximate
Some FAQs from our last edition of this trip can be found here. Almost all apply for this trip but please note Bait Al Murar is now closed on a Saturday so instead we will do some offroad/track/more wadi driving to return to the road.