This is a 2 day/1 night self-drive & camping trip starting around 1 hour from the Mafraq Junction in Abu Dhabi and finishing around 2 hours from there – 4×4 essential (see here for suggested vehicles).
This itinerary is ideal for those looking for a long but leisurely paced drive with plenty of stops for photographs – it would also be good for families.
The route has been developed, tried and tested by Marina and takes in around 130kms of easy offroad driving through the most beautiful of dunes. The area is very remote and once we enter the desert it is unlikely we will meet many people until we return to the road just over 24 hours later.
It’s a great chance to disconnect from the modern world while appreciating the stark beauty of the Abu Dhabi Desert and at the same time learn of the hardships of travelling over the desert before the advent of 4x4s and mobile phones!
Friday 16th February 2018
- 1030hrs meet at a petrol station – co-ordinates will be sent out to registered guests a few days before
- Fill up then come say hello
- 1100hrs move off
- 1300hrs lunch (provided)
- 1600hrs find a great campspot and set up camp
- 1900hrs bbq, campfire
Saturday 17th February 2018
- 0800hrs cooked breakfast
- 0900hrs strike camp and continue on our overland journey southwards
- 1200hrs approx return to road
- We will be 5kms from a different petrol station where you can fuel up and air up
We will be setting up camp in a remote area with no facilities – we can hire you camping equipment though you may also take your own. Camping/packing list available here. Please note that we need you to take blankets/sleeping bag and a pillow; we do not have room to carry these and no longer hire them out.
Adults – based on 2 persons in car (if only driver in car then add 250aed single supplement)
- With tent/mattress hire – 750aed per person
- Using own camping gear – 680aed per person
- With tent/mattress hire – 375aed per child
- Using parent’s camping gear – 340 aed per child
- With tent/mattress hire – 180aed per child
- Using parent’s camping gear – 135aed per child
How do I sign up?
Please read through the itinerary and check it will suit your family. Please also click on the links to see the requirements for your vehicle and the suggested packing list.
Download registration form here or from heremaster registration form camping
Complete and return to firstname.lastname@example.org
To confirm your booking we will request a 50% deposit
Balance is due on or before 4th February 2018
Payments may be made by bank transfer, mastercard or visa – please indicate your preferred method of payment on your registration form.
Timings, apart from initial meeting time, are approximate.
It will be foggy season in the area and our departure from camp on the Saturday may be delayed until the fog clears and there is a minimum 500metres visibility.
All children should be strapped into age-appropriate safety/booster seats, whenever your car is moving.
Suggested reading – Wilfred Thesiger, Arabian Sands
Cancellation policy here.
As with all our trips – Limited Places Available – Don’t Miss Out, Register Today and Reserve Your Place in Our Convoy!