Having received a number of requests to join me on one of my expedition trips in the Liwa area I am pleased to announce an itinerary for my first one.
Event #001 – date Friday 21st October 2016
- Start Point: Abu Dhabi to Himeem Road (approx 35 minutes from Mafraq Interchange)
- Briefing Time: 1345 hrs
- Move off Time: 1415hrs
Suitable cars: Dodge Ram (lifted), Ford F150 (lifted), Ford Raptor, GMC Silverado (Lifted), Isuzu Trooper (lifted), Jeep Wrangler, Mitsubishi Pajero, Nissan Patrol, Nissan Pathfinder pre-2005, Nissan Xterra, , Toyota FJ Cruiser, Toyota LandCruiser, Toyota Landcruiser Prado, Toyota Tundra (lifted) – if your car is not on this list please enquire.
- Expedition style drive – taking smooth lines over moderate terrain in the Eastern Part of the Liwa area (read more about expedition style driving at foot of page*)
- Your convoy will be led by highly experienced and professional offroad driver
- Marina is also an accredited Abu Dhabi Tour Guide who specialises in heritage, culture and nature
- Small trip – maximum 7 guest cars
- Loan of flag and walkie talkie if required
- Overnight camping (equipment available for hire if you do not have your own)
- BBQ dinner with soft drinks (hummus, moutable, bread, camel burger, chicken and vegetable kebabs)
- Starry Sky (subject to weather conditions)!
- Breakfast (scrambled eggs, bread, tea, coffee, fruit juice)
- Further desert drive in the morning (subject to weather conditions – there is a chance of fog in the morning and we will wait til it clears til we move from camp)
- Returning to road, approx 40-50kms from start point, by 1145hrs
- One car with driver – 700aed
- Passengers – 250aed each
- Trip subject to minimum 3 cars signing up
- If more than 4 guest cars then second support car will accompany the group
- Maximum number of guest cars – 7
If you do not have your own car, can we suggest you hire a brand new, lifted Nissan Patrol Safari, which comes complete with quality ARB rooftent and camping kit from our partners at Overland Rent-A-Car in Al Ain? Unlike many hire companies their cars are insured for offroad use – you can contact them using the link below. (If no reply please email me at marina at desertdivaevents dot com)
[contact-form to=’email@example.com’ subject=’Rental Enquiry for Nissan Patrol’][contact-field label=’Name’ type=’name’ required=’1’/][contact-field label=’Email’ type=’email’ required=’1’/][contact-field label=’Comment’ type=’textarea’ required=’1’/][/contact-form]
*So what is expedition/overland driving?
- Overlanding has a clear aim
- Ours is to explore the beautiful, varied sands of the Eastern part of the Liwa North area.
- Expedition driving is not about showing off to see who can climb the highest on a dune, or drive the fastest over the sabkah
- Adrenaline junkies might not like this style of trip
- Overlanding is about appreciating the topography and nature of the area
- The Empty Quarter is not quite as empty as you may expect; there are quite a few birds, insects and lizards
- We aim to minimise the environmental impact of the trip by making one track, avoiding damaging plants and not scaring the wildlife!
- Expedition driving takes a relatively easy line to ensure all cars return to the blacktop at the end of the trip in good condition.
- Overland driving may not plough through the most challenging terrain but this is no weekly drive to the supermarket!
- Expedition driving inevitably covers cars in dust and sand!
- After visiting the largest sand dune desert in the world you can expect to take home a few kgs of sand in your car and your shoes too!
Looking forward to seeing you in the desert!