Guided Self-Drive Desert Adventure With Overnight Camping
The days might be getting a bit warmer but there is still time to join us for a 2 day/1 night self-drive & camping trip starting around 1.5 hours from the Mafraq Junction in Abu Dhabi and finishing in the same place – 4×4 essential (see here for suggested vehicles). Note – the E11 roadworks have been completed and the speed limit on the 8-lane, streetlit highway is 140km, with radars set for 160!
This itinerary is ideal for those looking for a leisurely paced drive with plenty of stops for photographs – it would also be good for families. The dunes in this area are huge and it’s not unusual to see gazelle, lizards, and of course, camels!
It’s a great chance to disconnect from the modern world while appreciating the stark beauty of the Abu Dhabi Desert and at the same time learn of the hardships of travelling over the desert before the advent of 4x4s and mobile phones!
Friday 9th March 2018
- 1330hrs meet at a petrol station in Madinat Zayed City, Al Dhafra Region – co-ordinates will be sent out to registered guests a few days before
- Fill up then come say hello
- 1400hrs shwarma lunch in the shade of a palm tree
- 1445hrs head in to the desert
- Mid-afternoon visit THE tanker – Marina just can’t keep away!
- 1730hrs find a great campspot and set up camp
- 1900hrs bbq, campfire
Saturday 10th March 2018
- 0700hrs light breakfast, tea and coffee
- 0830hrs strike camp and continue exploring
- Visit a camel farm
- 1100hrs approx return to road
We will be setting up camp in a remote area with no facilities – we can hire you camping equipment though you may also take your own. Camping/packing list available here. Please note that we need you to take blankets/sleeping bag and a pillow; we do not have room to carry these and no longer hire them out.
Adults – based on 2 persons in car (if only driver in car then add 250aed single supplement)
- With tent/mattress hire – 650aed per person
- Using own camping gear – 570aed per person
- With tent/mattress hire – 325aed per child
- Using parent’s camping gear – 285aed per child
- With tent/mattress hire – 165aed per child
- Using parent’s camping gear – 100aed per child
How do I sign up?
Please read through the itinerary and check it will suit your family. Please also click on the links to see the requirements for your vehicle and the suggested packing list.
Download registration form here or from here
Complete and return to firstname.lastname@example.org
To confirm your booking we will request a 50% deposit
Balance is due on or before 22nd February 2018
Payments may be made by bank transfer, mastercard or visa – please indicate your preferred method of payment on your registration form.
Timings, apart from initial meeting time, are approximate.
It will be foggy season in the area and our departure from camp on the Saturday may be delayed until the fog clears and there is a minimum 500metres visibility.
All children should be strapped into age-appropriate safety/booster seats, whenever your car is moving.
Suggested reading – Wilfred Thesiger, Arabian Sands
Cancellation policy here.
As with all our trips – Limited Places Available – Don’t Miss Out, Register Today and Reserve Your Place in Our Convoy!
2 thoughts on “Exploring Liwa North: 9th/10th March 2018”
Do you have a map of Liwa dunes showing the restricted areas. I believe the oil fields are restricted.
Marina Bruce says:
Hello Kumar. Yes they are restricted. Most have no fences around them. As far as I know, no map exists – certainly not one available to civilian population!
Comments are closed.