One of our most popular itineraries is our annual Eid Al Ahda visit to the wonderful Liwa. Choose from 2 or 3 nights at the lovely Liwa Hotel, with family friendly on and offroad self-drive excursions to explore the nature and dunescapes of the area as well as delve into the rich historical past of the Oasis.
If you are looking for your first offroad trip, or are an experienced offroader looking for a trip the whole family can enjoy, why not join us for our annual summer hotel-based trip. There’s a bit of everything; easy offroading through big dunes, some sightseeing, myriad photographic opportunities and some time to chill at the pool too!
Note – Arafat Day is due to fall on 21st or 22nd Aug, with Eid on 22nd/23rd, so it is 99.9% likely that there will be a public holiday on Thursday. If this is not the case we will adjust our itinerary accordingly.
Wednesday 22nd August
Check in to your spacious and comfortable room at the Liwa Hotel any time after 1400hrs.
Thursday 23rd August at 0600hrs prompt
- 4×4 dune driving trip
- Duration approx 7 hours including 45 minutes onroad drive to start point and of course, return from there
- Leaving Liwa Hotel 0600hrs prompt (packed breakfasts will be supplied)
- Suitable for 4x4s only (see guidance on cars here)
- Suitable for rookies (new to sand dune driving)
- Maximum 8 cars plus guide/support (for all excursions)
After travelling to our start point we will take a smooth dune drive out in the direction of Marina’s favourite abandoned tanker. (note – if sand conditions are super soft we may not have enough time to go all the way to the intended destination)
The intention is to return to the hotel and chill by the pool, by 1400hrs
Friday 24th August at 0600hrs prompt
Light dune and track driving – suitable for 4×4 and also AWD/4WD with adequate clearance
Duration approx. 6 hours
- Visit one of the most remote date plantations in the UAE!
- If our friend, the farm worker, is there we will have tea and dates with him in his barasti style shack
- Spot gazelle and dhaubs (hopefully)
- Return to road, partially inflate, then go in search of some interesting rock formations
Return to the hotel for a few hours at leisure
Friday 24th August 2018 – 1500hrs
- Liwa Crescent West ON-road Trip
- Duration Approx 4 hours
- Leaving Liwa Hotel Friday 24th august 1500hrs prompt
- Suitable for all vehicles
Travel west to discover a fort, the original Liwa fish farm, a historical tower, date plantation and a desert viewpoint. We will start with a visit to a very interesting farm and finish watching the hot summer sun set over the desert.
Saturday 25th August 2018 – 0730hrs
Liwa crescent trip
Duration approx. 4 hours
Suitable for 4x4s only
Explore the wonderful Liwa Crescent dunes which form the northernmost edge of the Rub Al Khali (the Empty Quarter).
Note – we will negotiate a late checkout with the hotel, hopefully 1400hrs, so there will be time to have a shower before heading back
For 2 people with one car
- 2 nights with Bed and Breakfast (double/twin) – 1500aed
- 2 nights with Dinner Bed and Breakfast (double/twin) – 1875aed
- 3 nights with Bed and Breakfast (Double/Twin) – 2250aed
- 3 nights with Dinner Bed and Breakfast (double/twin)- 2812aed
- Extra car (ie 2 cars in one room) – 250aed per offroad trip
- Children 4 years and under – complimentary
- Children aged 5 to 12 (sharing parent’s room/bedding – note you can also take your own airbeds and bedding for them, rather than paying for an extra bed) – food as charged (half adult price) plus 75aed per child guide fee
- Extra bed in room 380aed for 2 nights and 570aed for 3 nights
- 2 nights with BB (single) – 1400aed
- 2 nights with DBB (single) – 2100aed
- 3 nights with BB (single) – 2150aed
- 3 nights with DBB (single) – 2675aed
- 2 or 3 nights at the 3 star Liwa Hotel (Booking.com customers have given it a rating of 8.0 out of 10.0, and Tripadvisor 4.0 out of 5.0 as well as a Certificate of Excellence)
- up to 4 trips (3 offroad, 1 onroad)
- Water and dates/chips when on trips
- Food at hotel as per tarif chosen (B&B or DBB)
- Services of a highly experienced desert guide
- Alcoholic drinks
- Soft drinks at the hotel
- Lunch and snacks at the hotel
Please download your registration form either from below or from here.
[pdf-embedder url=”https://thedesertdiva.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/master-registration-form-hotel.pdf” title=”master registration form hotel”]
Maximum 8 guest cars on the trips so please book early to ensure your place!
Secure your reservation with a deposit of 50%, payable by bank transfer, Mastercard or Visa. Payment details will be sent to you once we receive your registration form.
What one of last year’s guests had to say
“WARNING: The Desert Diva will change your life. We joined the Diva for the Eid Delight Trip in 2017 as outdoor UAE rookies. Marina is unique. Yes, you’ll learn how to drive offroad, but you’ll also learn a lot about the place where you live.
Her enthusiasm for the country and the culture is infectious. You will come back from your trip knowing a whole lot more about the UAE’s natural environment than you thought possible but somehow she just imparts this information, seemingly by osmosis. You’re never being lectured.
More interested in driving? The Diva is a through and through Brit: your health and safety is always her first priority. But she is an expert at judging the levels of driving on her trip. You won’t be bored but you won’t be terrified either.
If you’re looking for a totally unique desert experience that is a mix of education and adventure and is 100% family friendly, I can only recommend The Desert Diva.
So, why is this a warning? Your first trip won’t be your last. Factor some extra trips into your annual budget as a minimum.” Heather Gorman.
Marina aka the Desert Diva is an accredited Abu Dhabi tour guide and her main interests are the desert, nature and heritage and culture of the UAE. Let the “Liwa Diva” show you her most favourite area of the desert!
This is a self-drive event
- Guests need to use their own cars for all trips.
- Before embarking on excursions these should have at least ¾ tank of fuel.
- The number of persons per car should not exceed the number of seats and seatbelts.
- All children should use a car seat or booster cushion as appropriate for their age.
- Trip durations are approximate.
- See guidelines for cars here
What to Wear
Liwa is a very traditional and conservative area so when you are away from the hotel we suggest you wear loose fitting comfortable clothes which will cover you from neck to just below the knee – short sleeved tops are ok, but not vest tops. Cut-off trousers/capri pants are fine but short shorts are not recommended.
The sand will be very during the day so we recommend you wear closed in sports shoes or boots, NOT crocs.
Remember to take sunscreen if you need it and don’t forget to take your hat/cap and sunglasses!
Most importantly – remember to take your swimwear so you can chill out in the pool each afternoon!