This is a 4 day/3 night self-drive & camping/hotel trip starting around 1.5 hours from the Mafraq Junction in Abu Dhabi and finishing around 3 hours from there – 4×4 essential (see here for suggested vehicles).
This trip is all about exploring the most remote parts of the huge Al Dhafra Region of Abu Dhabi Emirate, and will cover approx 120kms offroad (sand and rough track) and 360kms of remote road between the start and finish points.
Monday 27th December
- 1100hrs meet at a petrol station in Madinat Zayed City, Al Dhafra Region – co-ordinates will be sent out to registered guests a few days before
- Fill up then come say hello
- 1130hrs move off
- Drive approx 50-80kms (dependent on sand conditions)
- 1300hrs light lunch/snacks
- 1700hrs find a great campspot and set up camp
- 1900hrs bbq, campfire
Tuesday 28th December
- 0800hrs light breakfast
- 0900hrs strike camp and head south for a short drive in the Rub Al Khali – the Liwa Crescent
- Check out some desert roses and visit a camel farm (a real one, not a tourist attraction!)
- 1200hrs picnic lunch
- 1430hrs – you have a choice – either join us for another short desert drive in another area, or drive direct to the Western Hotel, Ghayathi (3 star)
- Dinner and overnight at the Western Hotel
Wednesday 29th December
- 0830hrs breakfast at hotel
- 0900hrs a chance to buy more provisions at Lulu, Ghayathi
- 0930hrs drive 200kms to the beautiful Sila Peninsula
- 1000hrs – 1600hrs driving by offroad track, explore the many beautiful rock formations and coastal areas, stopping for a picnic lunch on the way
- 1630hrs set up camp for the night
- 1900hrs camp supper
Thursday 30th December
- camp breakfast
- continue exploring Sila
- 1200hrs return to main road on the E11
We will be setting up camp in a remote area with no facilities – we can hire you camping equipment though you may also take your own. Please note that we need you to take blankets/sleeping bag and a pillow; we do not have room to carry these and no longer hire them out.
Expert guiding by your very own Desert Diva, who is an accredited Abu Dhabi Tour Guide. 2 camping breakfasts, 3 picnic lunches, 1 bbq, 1 camp supper, 1 double/twin hotel room with dinner and breakfast.
Price is based on 2 adults in one car – 2850aed (1425aed each)
- 500aed each
How do I sign up?
Please read through the itinerary and check it will suit your family. Please also click on the links to see the requirements for your vehicle and the suggested packing list.
Registration form here
The trip list will be closed once we have 6 guest cars
Payments may be made by bank transfer.
Timings, apart from initial meeting time, are approximate.
It will be foggy season in the area and our departure from camps may be delayed until the fog clears and there is a minimum 500metres visibility.
All children should be strapped into age-appropriate safety/booster seats, whenever your car is moving.
Suggested reading – Wilfred Thesiger, Arabian Sands