This is a 2 day/1 night self-drive & camping trip starting around 1.5 hours from the Mafraq Junction in Abu Dhabi and finishing around 3 hours from there – 4×4 essential (see here for suggested vehicles).
This itinerary is ideal for those looking for a relatively long but leisurely paced drive with plenty of stops for photographs – it would also be good for families. The dunes in this area are huge and it’s not unusual to see gazelle, lizards, and of course, camels!
The route has been developed, tried and tested by Marina and takes in around 85kms of easy offroad driving through the most beautiful of dunes. The area is very remote and once we enter the desert it is unlikely we will meet many people until we return to the road just over 24 hours later.
It’s a great chance to disconnect from the modern world while appreciating the stark beauty of the Abu Dhabi Desert and at the same time learn of the hardships of travelling over the desert before the advent of 4x4s and mobile phones!
Saturday 26th February 2022
- 1030 hrs meet at a petrol station in Madinat Zayed City, Al Dhafra Region – co-ordinates will be sent out to registered guests a few days before
- Fill up then come say hello
- 1045hrs move off
- Picnic lunch in the desert
- Late-afternoon visit THE tanker
- 1700hrs return briefly to road, put a little air in our tyres and relocate to Arada area – The Rub Al Khali. (See video at foot of post)
- 1930hrs bbq, campfire
Sunday 27th February 2022
- 0800hrs light breakfast
- 0900hrs strike camp and go for an easy offroad drive through the most majestic of dunes.
- 1100hrs approx return to road
- We will be some distance from a petrol station so if you have a compressor, please take it. Otherwise Marina will inflate your tyres for you
We will be setting up camp in a remote area with no facilities – we can hire you camping equipment though you may also take your own. Please note that we need you to take blankets/sleeping bag and a pillow; we do not have room to carry these and no longer hire them out.
- Driver 950aed
- Passengers 450aed each
- 350aed each
How do I sign up?
Please read through the itinerary and check it will suit your family. Please also click on the links to see the requirements for your vehicle and the suggested packing list.
Registration form here
The trip list will be closed once we have 8 guest cars
Payments may be made by bank transfer.
Timings, apart from initial meeting time, are approximate.
It will be foggy season in the area and our departure from camp on the Saturday may be delayed until the fog clears and there is a minimum 500metres visibility.
All children should be strapped into age-appropriate safety/booster seats, whenever your car is moving.
Suggested reading – Wilfred Thesiger, Arabian Sands