GCC Foreign Residents: Enter Oman For FIVE OMR For Up To 28 Days!

Many expats in the UAE have been panicking this week due to headlines appearing in newspapers and on websites.  “Oman Tourist Visa Hike” “It’s going to cost a lot more to pop over the border” “Oman Tourist Visas just got four times more expensive”…. and so on.  Whilst it is true that the old 10 day/5 OMR visa has in effect been deleted and tourists now have to buy a 28 day/20 OMR visa, thus quadrupling the costs for those making a short visit, this does not apply to UAE based expats.

My partners at Ibex Adventures have checked with the Royal Oman Police and they have confirmed that if you are a GCC resident – that is, if you have a residency visa stamped in your passport from UAE, Saudi, Kuwait, Qatar or Bahrain – then those of you with approved professions*, which will be most of you, will  be able to obtain a 28 day AGCC Foreign Resident Visa on arrival in Oman at a cost of FIVE Omani Riyals.

Find out more from the ROP website – click “visit unsponsored visas” > “view” > “29” > “sub-type” > “29A” > “detail”.  Or you can just read the screen grab below!


*The approved professions as mentioned in #146 above are as follows.  Note housewives, when accompanied by their sponsor (husband) will also qualify for this visa.  Same for kids.  Technically housewives need a 20 OMR visit visa when entering Oman on their own (ie without their sponsor), but there is no harm in asking for a GCCFR visa – the worst the guard can do is say no and process you on a Tourist Visit Visa.

AGGFR visas are granted on arrival at the border but be sure you tick the correct box when filling out the visa application form.You do not need a photo (#341 above) nor a copy of your passport (#342) – this only applies if you are applying for the visa online in advance.


Note- your passport should have at least 6 months validity and your GCC residency at least 3 months.

Priced at 5 Oman Rials, the same price as the “old” 10 day visit visa for “ordinary” tourists, many expats have not been aware of the AGCC Foreign Residents visa and been ticking the “Tourist Visit Visa” box when heading for the weekend to Oman. These visas are not new, in fact I have been entering Oman with them, often for over 10 days at a time, since arriving in the UAE back in 2009.  There can be a slight confusion now at the land borders, certainly at Wadi Jizzi and Hafeet;  even although you are issued with an AGCCFR visa, the stamp still says “visit visa.”  Up to a few months ago they used to have a different stamp and I have no idea why this has changed, but you should be charged the lower rate and if not, query why.


You might consider making life a little easier for the border guards by putting a paperclip on the passport page which holds your residency visa!  (When done, transfer the paperclip to the page your new Oman Visa is on – this will make it quicker to find when the border guard stamps you “out” of Oman.)

Oman is waiting for you…. come on over!!!

For details of border crossing points you might like to check out my previous blog post – UAE-Oman Border Crossings: The Lowdown

  1. Mike Galvin says:

    Thanks for clearing that up. Glad we will still be able to pop over to Oman for AED 50.

  2. RAJESH says:

    Is the GCC Resident Visa still avaible at 5 Riyal ? I am planning to go tomarrow ?

    How can I Check



    • Marina Bruce says:

      Hi, yes it is still available if you meet the conditions. Have a great time!

  3. Sudhir says:

    Dear Sir

    Since applying Oman Visa is now online, I have few doubts

    1. “Oman Visa for UAE residents” processing takes how many days after online application?
    2. Once Visa is confirmed and issued, within how many days should I enter Oman?
    3. I am planning to visit Oman on 30th August by road in my car with family, cant wait in queue at the border. By when should I apply visa online?

    • Marina Bruce says:

      Hello Sudir
      I am sorry I do not know the procedure for the online visa – or even if it is possible to apply for the GCC Foreign Residents visa via the website – since it asks for sponsors etc and you do not need one for the AGCC FR visa. Please contact the Oman Embassy – number at the foot of this blogpost.
      Wishing you a great time in Oman.

  4. Hi. I am a housewife from qatar. I hold a qatar residency card and was wondering if i can travel to Oman on my own and get an on arrival visa.

      • Pakistani passport. I just called Oman Air office here in Doha and they said that I, as a housewife cannot travel alone without my sponsor (husband) even though i have a valid RP:(

        • Marina Bruce says:

          Hello RS – yes as a housewife you need your husband with you. I asked which passport you had as some nationalities, eg British, receive a tourist visa on arrival. Unfortunately it does not extend to citizens of your countty. I hope you can work something out. Kind regards

  5. Hello! I have a Philippine passport with a valid Qatar resident permit expiring on December. I plan to visit Oman this end of August, how many months should the resident permit be valid to be eligible for visa on arrival?

    • Marina Bruce says:

      Thanks for stopping by my blog – I am sorry I am not an expert on such matters, please contact the Oman Embassy. Wishing you a great time in Oman!

    • Marina Bruce says:

      Hello I do not think this is possible. Please call the embassy on the number at the end of my blog.

  6. Hi Marina, thanks for the very useful info. However, I have a doubt regarding the dependency visa . I am a GCC resident and has applied for an online “Visit Un-sponsored Visa”. My wife is a house wife and has a dependency visa sponsored by me. How can she travel along with me to Oman? Does she require a separate visit visa?

    • Marina Bruce says:

      Hi – you can get GCC resident visa on arrival as can she. Not sure how to do online! Regards, Marina

  7. Does this apply today as well. My husband is an Engineer and we are residents of Qatar. We are travelling to Oman on 28th December, 2017, and are confused as to whether we can get visa on arrival or not. Can we?

    • Marina Bruce says:

      Hello Nabeela
      just found your comment. Yes the information is current, I entered Oman last week from Qatar and received GCC resident visa on arrival. Have a great trip.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes:

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>